Landmark Madison Hall ....is a GREAT place to hold a business meeting, conference, shower, wedding, reception, reunion, or social/entertainment event.
A Brief History
Madison Hall was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1978. A symbol of the town of Eaton and village of Morrisville, the building sits in the center of Morrisville on historic US Route 20. Madison Hall was constructed in 1865 and was once the county seat for Madison County in New York State. The current building is the last of three courthouses built on the same site. The original courthouse built in 1817 was a simple wooden structure and was demolished in 1849. It was replaced with a sturdier more attractive building of Greek Revival features and stood for 15 years. On October 11, 1864 it is rumored that the notorious NY Loomis gang set fire to this building because they wanted to destroy county records since a gang member was on trial. Replacing the burned down building, the present building was erected on the old stone foundation, preserving the previous steps and porch floor. In 1909 the county seat was moved north to Wampsville, NY. In 1910 the courthouse became the main instructional and administrative facility on the newly established New York State School of Agriculture which later became Morrisville State College. The historic courthouse now sits on the edge of the college campus.